It’s common for trends to change over time, including produce industry trends. It can be eCommerce trends, direct to consumer trends, or food trends. In fact, the current trends can be impacted by a number of factors.
An example of this is the DTC marketing trends. In 2021, the DTC trends included subscription boxes. For 2022, they also include AI-based chatbots, voice-based search, and personalized experiences.
One of the biggest causes of some food trends over the past few years was the COVID-19 pandemic. It affected the way consumers shop for food and this influenced produce industry trends, too. These events also influencehow to sell wholesale produce and where to buy produce wholesale.
Nowadays, consumers are going back to dining in restaurants and in-store purchasing. However, there are some post-COVID-19 consumer habits and economical factors that are lingering. Some include inflation and food costs which can influence consumer purchasing habits. Despite all of this, food trends are still popular amongst consumers.
Every year, new produce industry trends arise. These trends are covered by celebrity chefs, supermarkets, and big-name consumer publications. Some of these trends resonate with consumers more than others through menu items at restaurants, innovations within the industry, and social media engagement.
When it comes to fresh produce, trends have continued to grow, especially due to the recent health pandemic. People began to put their health first and that included making smarter food choices.
They’ve started to get creative on how to include more fruits and vegetables into their menus. From substituting cauliflower for rice to adding spinach to their smoothies, they’ve done it all.
In 2020, at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, there was a 10% increase in consumer interest for fresh produce. (FMI) By favoring fresh fruits and vegetables, they’ve also looked into new ways to eat their produce and new produce to try.
In this article, we’ll explore the top five produce industry trends for 2022.
2022's Produce Industry Trends
Many people type “fresh produce trends 2022” in their search bar in hopes of finding out some most popular fruit and vegetable trends. Plant-based items are continuously growing in popularity when it comes to food and so is fresh produce. Whether it’s through vegetarian or vegan food choices or just healthy lifestyles, it’s definitely trendy.
The food and beverage industry has seen an increase in the demand for natural ingredients. Adults are becoming increasingly health-conscious and aware of the importance of both natural and organic food products. This is why the fruit and vegetable market is thriving.
Here are the top five produce industry trends for 2022:
A Focus On Health
Consumers are starting to become more aware of the connection between what they eat, their health needs, and how they feel. They’re also paying attention to quality fruit and vegetables.
Quality fruit and vegetables mean that the produce is grown organically or without chemicals. It includes produce with no bumps, bruises, or scratches.
Superfoods–like avocados, berries, pomegranates, mangoes, sweet potatoes, and papaya– are becoming increasingly popular. This is especially true for consumers in Northern and Western Europe due to the nutritional aspects of produce.
The B2B marketing for these goods is growing which is causing a boom in sales. As a result of this, the import growth of these items is also increasing. Large volume produce items like tomatoes and oranges are seeing little growth.
Favoring Pure And Organic Foods
2022's produce industry trends include increased demand for pure and organic food products. The infatuation with these items is due to the fact that they help with overall health, and they taste better. Most of these food products include fruits and vegetables.
The demand for organic and pure foods exceeds the supply. This is what makes it easier to find buyers, and it helps profit margins. However, for exporters located in tropical climates, this can be challenging as they seek to comply with the increasing demand for organic goods.
Convenience has become trendier as the years go by. Through demand planning, suppliers are forecasting an increase in the demand for single-serve eCommerce packaging when it comes to refrigerated snacks.
These include snack packs that include protein and dairy products. They can also include various fruits and vegetables that are ideal for taking on the go.
Healthy snacking is more popular than ever. With that, so is the convenience of grab-and-go snack options.
Popular supermarket chains are predicting that some popular snack items, like nutrition bars, are going to be made using fresh produce. With that comes higher levels of innovation.
Most Popular Fruits
Some high demand fruits of 2022 include:
- Bananas. These have been and continue to be one of the most popular fruits in the United States. High levels of potassium help with muscle fatigue after exercising and also help prevent cardiovascular disease.
- Grapes. Both healthy and convenient, grapes are rich in vitamin K and potassium.
- Watermelon. It’s an antioxidant-rich fruit that has potassium, vitamins, and beta-carotene.
- Strawberries. A highly nutritious, delicious, and convenient fruit that is full of antioxidants and vitamins.
- Pineapple. This is a tropical fruit that supports one’s metabolism and helps regulate blood sugar as it acts as an antioxidant.
Most Popular Vegetables
The most popular vegetables of 2022 include:
- Sweet corn. This is a trendy grain due to its low starch content and versatility when it comes to meals.
- Tomatoes. They’re a staple in almost every diet and important to countless cuisines. They have low calories and are full of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants.
- Potatoes. A delicious and versatile vegetable that is full of nutrients and potassium.
- Green beans. These have high levels of protein and are packed with flavor which makes them ideal for dinner meals.
- Garlic. It’s a staple in the kitchen, and also has powerful health benefits including strengthened immune function.
Frequently Asked Questions About Produce Industry Trends 2022
What Are The Fresh Produce Industry Trends of 2022?
The fresh produce trends of 2022 include:
- Focusing on healthy eating and lifestyles
- Favoring pure and organic food items
- Purchasing convenience food