Beans have been an important food category for many of societies. They are among the most nutritious food groups and they are also easy to grow. That makes them a great source of protein and vitamins. Beans are often consumed as an alternative to meat. This makes them popular ingredients in the menus of sustainable and eco-friendly restaurants. Due to those reasons, many businesses in the restaurant industry find suppliers and purchase wholesale beans. In this article, we’ll share more about the different types of beans available on the market. In addition, you’ll be able to find out more about the businesses that purchase wholesale beans as well as the pros and cons of buying them in bulk. This blog post is part of our series on wholesale legumes. Read more about wholesale chickpeas and wholesale soy.
Types of Beans
Different beans have become popular in different cuisines. Let’s dive a little deeper into some of the most common types of beans.
- Black beans. They are often associated with Mexican food. A lot of Mexican and Latin American restaurants purchase wholesale beans from this category. Black beans have a mild flavor and can be added to salads, soups, and tacos.
- Black-eyed beans. They are also known as black-eyed peas. Their earthy flavor makes them a great addition to salty food.
- Cannellini beans. They are commonly referred to as white Italian kidney beans. This type is often mistaken for navy beans. Their popularity in Mediterranean cuisine makes them a common ingredient in many Italian soups and dishes.
- Navy beans. Food service establishments often purchase wholesale beans of this type. They are included in various recipes such as soups and stews.
- Kidney beans. Their red color distinguishes them from other bean types. They are commonly associated with stews such as chili recipes. However, they can be combined with rice or mashed and made into a creamy dip. The options for cooking kidney beans are very wide.
- Cranberry beans. These white beans with red speckles are also known as borlotti beans. Just like most beans, their main application is in stews and soups. However, creamy dips, pies, and other dishes can be made with cranberry beans.
- Mung beans. On the outside, they look just like green peas. However, they are different in texture and flavor. Mung beans are popular in Asian cuisine. They are rich in antioxidants and fiber. Mung bean sprouts are also used as an ingredient in various dishes.
Key takeaway: Various types of beans are used in the restaurant industry. Businesses often buy wholesale beans as that lowers their cost of goods sold and improves their profit margins.
Businesses That Buy Wholesale Beans
As beans are a common ingredient in a variety of dishes, a lot of companies purchase them in large quantities. Let’s see the main categories of businesses that purchase wholesale beans.
Grocery stores and food eCommerce stores sell a wide variety of beans and different types of grains. They often buy these products in bulk from suppliers of wholesale beans. Some chains have their own packaging equipment and sell these products under their own brands.
Food Service Establishment
Restaurants and fast food places are among the businesses that purchase large quantities of wholesale beans. They are used in a variety of dishes. Beans are especially popular in fast food restaurants that sell Mexican or other ethnic cuisine. Institutions such as schools and hospitals also purchase bulk beans as they are nutritious and an important component of many diets.
Producers of canned goods and frozen meals are among the large clients for wholesale beans distributors and wholesale produce distributors. All popular types of beans can be found in canned form. In addition, popular dishes with beans such as chili con carne are also sold in cans.
Caterers might use beans as ingredients for dips, salads, and side dishes.
Ethnic Stores and Restaurants
A lot of dishes from Asian and Latin American cuisines have beans as a main ingredient. That’s why ethnic retailers and restaurants that specialize in said cuisines are usual clients of wholesale grains and beans.
Pros and Cons of Purchasing Wholesale Beans
Purchasing bulk legumes for restaurants or other businesses has both advantages and disadvantages. Allow us to briefly share some of them.
Pros of Buying Wholesale Beans
- Lower cost per unit. One of the main pros of purchasing in bulk is the lower price per unit.
- Convenience. Businesses prefer to work with wholesale distribution companies as that gives them access to the products of various producers. Wholesalers also offer a wide range of additional products like canned food or imported legumes.
- Automation. Suppliers use various automation tools like BlueCart. With their help, customers can automate purchasing.
Cons of Purchasing Wholesale Beans
- Storage challenges. As some suppliers have large minimum order quantities, restaurant inventory management might become challenging. That’s especially true if the business buys bulk grains or purchases other goods in large quantities.
- Upfront costs. Buying in bulk means benefiting from a lower price per unit. However, it can still be a large investment. Beans are a commonly used ingredient in many recipes and most restaurants should consider purchasing them from suppliers. However, it might be optimal to purchase other not-so-frequently used legumes from specialty retailers. For example, restaurants rarely buy wholesale carobs.
Frequently Asked Questions about Wholesale Beans
Although beans are part of our daily lives, there’s much we don’t know about them. Below we’ve answered some of the common questions regarding beans.
What Are Some Common Recipes with Beans?
As beans have been cultivated for millennia, there are many recipes with them. Here are some popular ones.
- Bean dips. They can be made with a single type like white beans or a combination of legumes like beans and chickpeas.
- Bean stews and soups. Dishes such as chili con carne and creamy soups are nutritious and combine a variety of tasty ingredients.
- Vegan dishes. Beans and other legumes can be excellent alternatives to meat. For example, you can make tasty spaghetti and meatballs made from beans or chickpeas.
What Are Other Popular Legumes?
Besides wholesale beans, specialty distributors offer a wide range of grains and legumes in their catalogs. As these foods are popular in many cuisines, they are common ingredients in a variety of recipes. Here are other popular legumes that are bought by restaurants and other businesses.
- Chickpeas. They are especially popular in Middle Eastern cuisine. A variety of soups and dishes such as hummus and falafel are made primarily from chickpeas. They are also used in salads.
- Lentils. Restaurants purchase lentils wholesale as they are used in various dishes. They come in different colors which can be yet another advantage that gives them versatility.
- Peas. They are used for soups and as a side dish. The fact that many recipes include them as an ingredient is the reason why businesses buy wholesale peas.
- Lupin beans. They are a popular alternative to soybeans. Restaurants that offer Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine purchase beans from lupine wholesale as it is a common ingredient for many dishes.
Canned Beans VS Dried Beans. Which One Is Better?
Dried beans are considered to be the better choice. The main reason for that is the fact that canning removes some of the nutritional value of beans. Also, in terms of texture, canned beans can be mushy. On the other hand, dried ones can be prepared in various ways.