Peanut butter has been among the favorite foods of Americans for decades. Large families with a lot of kids buy wholesale peanut butter quantities when they stock their pantries. Even though peanut butter holds the first place as the most beloved and consumed spread, there are other types of nut butters too. Some of them are fairly popular as well while others are not consumed as often. In this blog article, we’ll talk about the most popular types of nut butters and their role in preserves and spreads niche and restaurant industry.
Most Popular Types of Nut Butters
Naturally, this is at the top of our list. It’s the most widely consumed type of nut spread. The most popular combination is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. In addition to its use as a spread, it’s a popular ingredient for many baked goods, dressings, and sauces. The snack food industry also uses a variety of nut butters, including peanut butter.
Its creamy and rich texture makes it a great spread for sandwiches. The nutty taste also goes well with a variety of flavors. Thus, almond butter is used in baking recipes. Being rich in monounsaturated fats and low on carbs makes almond butter a great addition to many dietary recipes such as keto and gluten-free.
It’s most widely used as part of vegan cheese alternatives. This butter is very rich in proteins and doesn’t have as much fats as other types of nut butters. The creamy consistency of cashew butter makes it an ideal ingredient for desserts as well. A popular option is vegan cashew butter and jelly cheesecake.
The rich hazelnut flavor of this product makes it ideal for snacks and desserts. It can be used as an ingredient in cakes and brownies as well. The use of hazelnut butter as a spread is not uncommon. People use it for both sandwiches and pancakes.
The earthy flavor of walnut butter is very distinct. Since it has a strong taste, it’s not a very popular type of nut butter to use as a spread. However, many salad dressings and toppings include walnut butter and oil. The fact that it’s rich in omega-3 fatty acids makes it a component of many diets.
The green color of this butter makes it ideal for crafting exotic desserts and pastries. The sweet and nutty taste helps in that regard as well. Pistachio butter is also used in smoothies or as an ice cream topping.
Pecan nuts are most widely known as a pie ingredient. Naturally, pecan butter’s main usage is in baking recipes. It’s also a popular topic for pancakes, waffles, or other desserts.
Sunflower Seed Butter
Technically, that is not a type of nut butter. However, people with nut allergies might enjoy sunflower seed butter as it’s the most popular alternative to different types of nut butters. The creamy texture and nutty flavor make sunflower seed butter an ideal spread or a suitable ingredient for different desserts and baked goods.
Key takeaway: Peanut butter is the most popular type of nut butter. Other well-known varieties include almond, pecan, cashew, and walnut butter. They are used in both the food and beverage industries. Restaurants mainly use them as an ingredient for baked goods, toppings, and dressings.
The Role of Nut Butters in the Restaurant Industry
Even though they are mostly associated with breakfast food, nut butters have various applications.
What Are Nut Butters Used For?
- Spread and condiment. The main application of nut butters is as spreads. Peanut butter toasts, almond butter pancakes, or bagels with honey and peanut butter are just a few examples.
- Pastries. The bakery business often uses different types of nut butters as ingredients in their goods. They add flavor and richness to baked items.
- Beverages. The creaminess of nut butters can be used in beverages with creamy textures such as smoothies, coffee drinks, and milkshakes. Additionally, as they have a rich taste, these butters can add a nutty flavor to the beverage.
- Snacks and bars. Almond, hazelnut, peanut, and other types of nut butters are among the main ingredients of protein bars. They act as a binding agent and provide a nutty flavor.
- Vegan dishes. The rise in popularity of vegan meals means they are among the biggest restaurant industry trends. Nut butters can help a lot in that regard. Non-dairy sauces, dressings, and vegan desserts are just some of the applications for popular types of nut butters.
- Sauces and dressings. Nut butters add richness, flavor, and creaminess to a variety of dishes like curries and stir-fries. The combination of savory, salty, and sweet tastes is ideal for dressings and sauces. And nut butters can help a lot in that regard.
How Restaurants Can Profit from Nut Butters
The popularity of peanut butter and other types of nut butters can be used by venues in order to maximize profits and improve customer experience. Here are a few ideas on how to boost restaurant’s profit margins with the help of nut butters.
- Upselling opportunities. Customers might be interested in trying alternatives to the fairly cheap peanut butter. For example, offering desserts with cashew or almond butter might increase a restaurant’s revenue.
- Menu innovations. Different types of nut butters can be used to create unique menu items. Additionally, these ingredients have a wide application in vegan dishes and can help a restaurant attract customers with different dietary preferences.
- Customizable options. Nut butters are frequently used as toppings and dressings. Therefore, a venue can offer customization options with different nut butters for baked desserts, salads, whole grain breakfasts, ice creams, and other dishes.
- Partnerships. There are many small businesses that offer different types of nut butters or sell jam and jelly wholesale. A restaurant can partner with local organic producers of these products and showcase that on their website, social media, and menu. This can help both local small businesses and generate additional followers on social media.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Different Types of Nut Butters
Obviously, nut butters have many applications and we can’t explain everything about the different types of nut butters in one article. Nevertheless, we’ll try to answer some of the most common questions below.
Are Seed Butters the Same as Nut Butters?
Not really. Seed butters are crushed spreads that are made from seeds of different plants. Some of the most popular ingredients in the seed butter category are pumpkin, sesame, sunflower, and soybean seed butter.
How to Start a Nut Butter Business?
You can start a nut butter business at home. Laws allow for certain food products to be sold by individuals. However, regulations differ in every state. If you’re aiming to start a bigger company and not an at-home business, here are the main steps:
- Research the market. Find the right niche for your business. Also, research on how to start a jam business as well as the two can be combined.
- Write a business plan. That’s especially important if you plan to search for investors. It should include financial projections as well. The business plan will be the roadmap for your retail or wholesale nut butters business.
- Find suppliers and acquire machinery and equipment.
- Focus on branding, marketing, and sales. Make your brand recognizable. It should correspond with your audience. The marketing process also includes searching for potential clients through different channels.
Nut butters, jams, and jellies can also be sold in subscription boxes. Check out our guide on how to start a subscription box business.
What Is the Healthiest Type of Nut Butter?
All nut butters are nutritious. However, walnut butter can be considered as the healthiest one. It’s rich in omega-3 fatty acids as well as proteins. It helps reduce inflammation and keep cholesterol levels optimal.