Fresh green peas are a common ingredient in various dishes. They are used in the restaurant industry and by other businesses such as food manufacturers. With the increased popularity of vegetarian diets, many businesses have started buying bulk grains and legumes. In this article, we’ll share more about the wholesale peas niche. We’ll share details about the businesses that purchase peas in bulk as well as the common types of peas available on the market. This blog post is part of BlueCart’s series on wholesale legumes. Make sure to check other articles on wholesale carob or wholesale lupine seeds.
Popular Types of Peas
As peas are popular in different countries and cuisines, varieties of them are used in dishes. Let’s dive deeper into the main types that can be found on the market.
- Green pea. They are also referred to as English peas. These are the familiar round peas that are used as a side dish or as an ingredient in various recipes. Green peas are a common vegetable to preserve. That can be done via canning or freezing. Lately, freeze-drying peas has become popular as well.
- Snow and snap peas. Another common name for snow peas is Chinese pea. That’s because they are often used in East Asian cuisine. Both types are edible pod peas that are consumed with the seeds and the unripened pod. The difference between them is their shape. Snow peas have flat pods and thin walls. Snap ones have rounded pods and thick walls.
- Split and yellow peas. They are very similar to their green equivalent. Yellow peas are used in various soups and stews. They are also common ingredients in some plant-based milk varieties.
- Pigeon pea. This type of legume is popular in Asian and Latin American cuisines. They are nutritious and have a slightly nutty flavor. Pigeon peas combine well with rice and are used in various Caribbean dishes.
- Other pea varieties. As the worldwide pea market is very large, there are numerous other pea varieties sold. For example, you will often see field peas as an ingredient in some dishes. That term includes pea varieties that differ in color and texture.
Chickpeas are also a common type. They are common in vegetarian dishes as well as the Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine.
Wasabi peas have become popular as a spicy snack. These are just ordinary green peas that have been flavored with wasabi.
Key takeaway: Peas are a nutritious ingredient that is used in various recipes. They are often bought in frozen or canned form as that extends their shelf life. There are various types of peas available on the market.
What Businesses Buy Wholesale Peas
Producers of canned goods and frozen food often purchase wholesale peas as they are one of the most commonly bought canned items. They are often part of canned or frozen vegetable mixes as well. As peas are nutritious and healthy, they are also part of various baby purees.
Peas can also be used by producers of animal food. They are mixed with different types of grains and meat and are used by manufacturers of dog food and other pet-related products.
Food Service Businesses
The restaurant industry purchases various types of peas. They are used in savory dishes such as soups and stews. One of their main applications is as a side dish. They combine well with steaks and other main dishes. Peas are a versatile ingredient. The vibrant green color makes them suitable even for desserts. A few examples include a pea mousse or a sweet pea and pistachio cake.
Grocery stores and eCommerce retailers often have packaging equipment. That allows them to purchase wholesale peas and package it in smaller quantities.
Other Products Offered by Wholesale Peas Suppliers
Peas are often traded by suppliers of fresh produce and specialty distributors. However, there are distributors that focus primarily on peas and related products. Here are some of the items that can be found in their catalogs.
- Pea protein powder. The increased demand for plant-based protein has made these products very popular in recent years. Another alternative to it is soy protein powder. That’s why distributors will often sell wholesale soy products as well.
- Vegetable mixes. Peas are often mixed with other vegetables and used in stews or soups. Popular vegetables to combine with peas include carrots, corn, and beans.
- Pea flour. This alternative to wheat flour is becoming popular because of its nutritional value. It’s commonly used in baking gluten-free goods.
- Preserved peas. As we mentioned already, peas are often traded in canned or frozen form. That’s why suppliers of wholesale peas are expected to sell such products.
- Exotic peas. Even though green peas are the most popular type in the US, there are dozens of other varieties from across the world. Importers of pea products might purchase specialty varieties of peas and sell them to retail customers or businesses.
Frequently Asked Questions about Wholesale Peas
The role of legumes in restaurants is well-known. Even though peas are part of our daily lives, business owners might still have a lot of questions regarding purchasing them in bulk. Below we’ve shared some of the frequently asked questions and their answers.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Purchasing Wholesale Peas?
Although there are multiple reasons for businesses to purchase wholesale peas, there are cons to buying them in large quantities. Let’s briefly examine the main ones.
- Storage conditions. Peas need to be stored in a dry and cool place. A lot of businesses purchase frozen wholesale peas which take up fridge space.
- Minimum order quantities. When businesses find suppliers of wholesale grains or legumes, the minimum order quantities should be taken into account.
Pros of buying wholesale peas.
- Lower price. Purchasing in bulk means you get a better wholesale price per unit. That cuts costs and reduces the cost of goods sold.
- Convenience. Businesses prefer to work with wholesale produce distributors and suppliers as they can deliver a large variety of vegetables and fruits.
What Are Some Popular Recipes with Peas?
Peas are versatile and can be used in a variety of recipes. They are used in soups, stews, and other dishes. Here are some popular recipes with peas.
- Pea soup. This classic dish can also be made into a creamy soup.
- Pasta with peas. Cooking pasta doesn’t have to be a tough endeavor. Instead, just mixing peas with pasta and sprinkling parmesan cheese on top can be a delicious and nutritious meal.
- Risotto with peas. Creamy risotto is often combined with vegetables such as green peas.
- Shepherd’s pie. This classical British dish combines meat, bread, and a variety of vegetables to achieve a savory and tasty meal.
What Are Other Popular Legumes?
Distributors of grain and legumes sell different products to their clients. Here are some of the common ones.
- Chickpeas. They are popular for vegan meals like falafel and dips such as hummus. Restaurants that offer Middle Eastern cuisine buy chickpeas wholesale.
- Beans. They are an important source of protein and other nutrients. Wholesale beans are purchased not only by restaurants but also by food manufacturers.
- Peanuts. Many people don’t know that peanuts are part of the legume family.
- Lentils. The fact that they come in different colors makes them a versatile ingredient for various recipes. Food service establishments and food manufacturers purchase wholesale lentils.