In the past decade, spa treatments and other wellness activities have increased in popularity. The increased stress our generation is experiencing has led to the creation of niche markets like the aromatherapy niche. Business owners in the field of leisure and wellness benefit from these trends. That’s why various types of essential oils like lavender and rose have become high-demand products in the wellness and spa industries. In this article, we’ll shed light on the most popular essential oil varieties as well as the benefits and disadvantages of essential oils.
Key takeaway: There are dozens of different essential oils. They have different uses and effects. Essential oils are made through distillation. Although they have many benefits, there are some disadvantages to using essential oils as well.
Popular Types of Essential Oils
Citrus Essential Oils
These light oils have a refreshing scent that can be very energizing and uplifting. They are used mainly for deodorizing and can also be blended with various other essential oils. Citrus oils are often used in cleaning products as well as personal care products like shampoos and shower gels. The most popular variety of citrus essential oils are lemon, orange, grapefruit, and lime.
Floral Essential Oils
They are often sweet in scent and can create cheerfulness and bliss when used. Floral scents promote rest and comfort. Common types of essential oils made from flowers include lavender, rose, ylang-ylang, and jasmine. They are used extensively in the perfume industry, especially for the production of women's fragrances. Well-known perfume manufacturing brands benefit from wholesale prices and purchase these oils in bulk from wholesale businesses or manufacturers.
Herbaceous Essential Oils
The calming and spring-like scent of herbs is the reason for their popularity in the essential oils industry. Plants like chamomile, rosemary, parsley, tea tree, and oregano are among the popular sources of essential oils in the herbaceous category.
Minty Essential Oils
The cooling and invigorating feeling associated with minty scents is often used in aromatherapy. Minty scents like spearmint can be mentally clarifying and help with focus.
Spicy Essential Oils
The scent of spices is commonly associated with Asia. That’s why these oils are considered to have an exotic aroma.
Musky Essential Oils
Resinous and musky scents are a main ingredient in many perfumes and colognes. Musky essential oils are also used in spiritual practices as they promote a sense of inner calm. Frankincense is the most common variety in this category.
Earthy Essential Oils
They are extracted from trees like pine, sandalwood, or cypress. They have a deep and warm scent. As they are associated with a walk in the forest, these oils can promote emotional balance and well-being.
Camphoraceous Essential Oils
Camphor is the main representative of these strong scents. Others include cajeput and eucalyptus. They are stimulating and refreshing. These types of essential oils also are used in aromatherapy for clearing the respiratory system.
How Essential Oil Is Made
The earliest evidence of essential oils is from the Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans. However, the distillation process has changed substantially since then. Nowadays, modern technology has made it much easier to produce these oils. There are both large and small manufacturers of essential oils. They rarely specialize in specific oils. Instead, they find suppliers or producers of the needed materials for the manufacturing process. Producers then sell wholesale essential oils to distributors or retailers who take care of the shipping and handling to store chains and businesses that use essential oils. Let’s see the steps for making essential oils.
- Vaporization. After the raw materials are placed in a steel container with water, the heating process begins. Compounds in plants have a lower boiling point and they evaporate.
- Condensation and collection. The vapor is cooled with the help of a condenser. That turns it into liquid. This liquid contains the essential oil and hydrosol.
- Separation. The oil is then separated from the hydrosol. Both products are used in various industries. Some of the most expensive types of essential oils are distilled additionally to ensure their purity.
Benefits of Essential Oils
There are many reasons why essential oils have become increasingly popular in recent years. Both their B2B and direct to consumer sales have increased due to their benefits.
- Most types of essential oils boost the mood. They also lower stress levels and anxiety.
- Some oils have an antimicrobial effect. That’s why they can be ingredients in cleaning solutions.
- Various types of essential oils encourage sleep. The sense of calmness associated with essential oils can help people with sleeping disorders like insomnia.
- They help with muscle pain. Mixing massage oil with different blends and types of essential oils can help tame chronic pain.
Disadvantages of Essential Oils
Although sales of essential oils have experienced high retail and eCommerce growth, people need to be careful with them. Here are a few disadvantages of using essential oils.
- They might cause an allergic reaction. As they are very concentrated, these oils can cause even harsher symptoms like redness and swelling.
- Essential oils can harm pets. As cats and dogs have a very sensitive sense of smell, some types of essential oils can be dangerous for them.
- If used improperly, oils can cause skin rashes and other irritations.
Frequently Asked Questions about Different Types of Essential Oils
Essential oils are fairly unknown to the general public. That’s why the BlueCart has gathered some common questions related to essential oils. Check out their answers below.
What Essential Oil Businesses Can You Start
An easy and profitable idea is to sell different types of essential oils online. In recent years, one of the easiest ways to create an essential oil business has been to start an e-commerce store. By combining different eCommerce marketing techniques and dropshipping, you can easily sell essential oils and other wellness products.
Another potential idea is to distill essential oils and sell them to businesses or via an eCommerce store. As the industry is growing rapidly, the demand for these products is expected to rise in the future. You have to keep in mind that establishing an essential oil distillation business will require a bigger investment compared to starting an online store that sells different types of essential oils. The main capital investments will be in an oil distiller, marketing, and products like bottles and packaging materials.
How Are Essential Oils Used
The easiest way to use all types of essential oils is with a diffuser. Alternatively, you can simply inhale them by opening the bottle and taking a few deep breaths. When using essential oils on the skin, it is very important to dilute them with a carrier oil. You can also use essential oils in the shower. An easy way to do so is to pour a few drops of the oil on the bathroom tiles. The humidity and warmth will mimic the effect of a diffuser.
Are There Different Grades of Essential Oils
Yes. There are four grades of essential oils. Here are their differences.
- Grade A. These are the purest and most expensive types of essential oils. They are made from organic plants and are distilled many times to achieve high purity.
- Grade B. They have some additives like synthetics or carrier oils. They should be used with caution as these additives might not be suitable for contact with the skin.
- Grade C. They are also called perfume grade. They contain more chemicals and additives compared to B grade oils.
- Floral water. It is a byproduct of the distillation process. Although floral water is not an essential oil, it can be used in shampoos, candles, and other scented products.