As yogurt is a very versatile ingredient, the retail and wholesale yogurt market is expanding every year. This expansion is driven not only by the health benefits of this product but also by innovation. Yogurt alternatives made from vegan milk have become very popular. Their unique taste and ability to be used as ingredients in various dishes is why they are a prominent ingredient for a wide range of desserts and breakfast food. Both the plant-based milk and dairy farming industries in the US and globally are rising. Business owners often prefer to purchase wholesale yogurt and other dairy products from established vendors and manufacturers. Find out more about the most popular types of yogurt and the uses of this ancient dairy product in our blog article. If you’re interested in other related topics, check out our posts on what is dairy and shipping dairy products.
Key takeaway: Organic and probiotic yogurt products have numerous health benefits. Businesses that purchase wholesale yogurt include food service establishments, manufacturers of desserts, frozen yogurt businesses, and manufacturers of skincare products.
Types of Yogurt
There are dozens of different yogurt varieties you can find in grocery stores or in the catalogs of wholesale yogurt and dairy distributors. Some of them are very popular in the US while others might be fairly unknown. Let’s dive a little deeper into the main categories.
Also referred to as plain yogurt, this product is the most popular one. It’s made from milk mixed with different types of bacteria (called yogurt cultures). The fermentation process that occurs results in the fermentation of sugars into lactic acids. This changes the texture and gives yogurt its tart flavor. Regular yogurt is not as thick as most other counterparts. It’s used in creamy soups, dishes, and some beverages like the traditional ayran and kefir or popular sweetened yogurt beverages.
It’s very similar to its regular counterpart. The main difference is that Greek yogurt has far less water content compared to regular one. This makes it thicker and more concentrated. The taste is also slightly different and stronger. Greek yogurt can be used for desserts or protein-rich beverages.
People with an irregular digestive system can benefit a lot by consuming probiotic yogurt. This variety is either unpasteurized or has yogurt cultures added after the initial pasteurization process. This improves gut flora and helps with various digestive system problems.
One additional benefit of probiotic yogurt is that it can help people with lactose intolerance. Although it’s a dairy product, the bacteria in yogurt turn the lactose into lactic acid which is far easier to digest.
Many business owners have benefited from the trendiness of dairy-free products. That includes the yogurt industry as well. Frozen yogurt businesses and manufacturers of regular yogurt products also offer vegan alternatives. The most popular plant-based yogurt products are made of soy or coconut milk.
This is one of the most common varieties in the US. Grocery stores and other retailers like convenience stores purchase wholesale yogurt in different flavors like strawberry or blueberry. One of the most popular tastes is vanilla yogurt. Consumption of flavored yogurt is not associated with health benefits as most brands on the market have additional sugars and additives.
Uses of Yogurt
It’s no wonder that yogurt has become one of the high-demand products in grocery stores. Combining its health benefits and fairly low retail and wholesale prices makes it a popular dairy product. In addition to that, yogurt has many applications.
- Standalone consumption and cooking. A lot of people enjoy eating plain yogurt or adding berries and other fruits to it. Mixing yogurt with oatmeal and fruits can result in a healthy and nutritious breakfast. It can also be used as an ingredient in sauces, marinades, and dips. That’s why businesses from the restaurant industry are likely to purchase wholesale yogurt.
- Probiotic and lactose digestion aid. The live probiotic cultures in yogurt make it great for gut health. It’s a good product for people who are experiencing digestive distress symptoms.
- Skincare. The acidity of yogurt has moisturizing and exfoliating properties. That’s why some manufacturers of skincare products purchase wholesale yogurt and use it as an ingredient in their products. Yogurt is also used in homemade facemasks and skincare solutions.
How Businesses Can Benefit from Yogurt
The retail and wholesale yogurt industry is growing with an average of 5 percent a year globally. Although the main regions that see growth are Asia and Africa, there are multiple ways businesses in the US can benefit from selling or buying wholesale yogurt.
As more people strive to live healthier, the popularity of yogurt is likely to increase. It contains various minerals and helps the digestive system. Furthermore, an increasing number of people suffer from lactose intolerance. Consuming probiotic yogurt products with live cultures is shown to help manage the condition.
Yogurt is very versatile. Whether it's frozen yogurt or a tasty yogurt beverage, there are multiple ways to consume it. It’s also used as an ingredient in many cuisines. Restaurants can purchase wholesale yogurt and use it for desserts, baking, dressings, smoothies, or breakfast dishes. So if you wish to add healthier breakfast options to your restaurant’s menu, make sure to find suppliers of dairy products that have an extensive yogurt catalog.
Frequently Asked Questions about Wholesale Yogurt
The BlueCart team has helped many wholesale businesses with useful information in our blog articles. If you’re interested in the wholesale yogurt industry, check the answers to the commonly asked questions.
What Are the Health Benefits of Yogurt?
Yogurt has multiple health benefits. That’s why it’s been popular in many cultures for millennia. Here are some of them.
- Yogurt is rich in protein and other nutrients. Just like other dairy products, yogurt is high in protein. Furthermore, it’s rich in calcium, phosphorus, and B vitamins.
- Improves digestion. Some types of yogurt contain live bacteria. That makes them an effective probiotic. Thus, regular consumption of bacteria-rich yogurt can help with common problems with the digestive system.
- Helps the immune system. The potential of probiotic yogurt to reduce inflammation also helps the immune system. In addition, yogurt is rich in magnesium, zinc, and selenium. These minerals are critical for the immune system.
How to Make Yogurt for Sale?
Making yogurt is fairly easy. There are many recipes online and you can do it from the comfort of your home. Some people also make homemade yogurt for sale. Although there are various regulations related to selling dairy wholesale, they are less strict when it comes to retail sales in small quantities. You can sell dairy products at farmers' markets or retail health stores. If you decide to make yogurt for sale, make sure you follow all local and federal regulations.
What Are Some Popular Yogurt Recipes?
In addition to its numerous health benefits, yogurt is a great ingredient for many recipes as well. Desserts are the most popular recipes with yogurt but it can be used for a variety of other meals.
- Frozen yogurt. The tanginess of this dessert makes it ideal for the summer. Frozen yogurt can be mixed with fruits, nuts, cookies, and other candies.
- Smoothie. Manufacturers of smoothies often purchase wholesale yogurt to make their products. Strawberry smoothie is one of the most popular ones. Other popular ingredients include blueberries, kiwi, and honey.
- Garlic cucumber dip. The thickness of classical Greek yogurt makes it ideal for a variety of dips. These dips can also be made with other types of yogurt.
- Yogurt ambrosia. This classic fruit salad can be a simple yet tasty dish. Mix the yogurt with fruits and nuts of your choice and leave them for a few hours to allow the flavors to mix.