Your catalog is one of the most important tools at your company’s disposal. Not only is it used as the primary source of information for your product lines and pricing for your sales reps and buyers, but they are also one of the main ways your customers are exposed to and interact with your brand.
You can take this as an opportunity to use digital catalog software and make your catalog professional and unique, just make sure your e-catalog has these features:
- Color Images: an image is one of the first pieces of information your customer will see while browsing your digital catalog - make sure each product description includes a clear, full-color image.
- Detailed Descriptions: digital catalogs allow for a more in-depth description than printed catalogs. Use this to your advantage to include product variants (size, color, style, material), recipe ideas, or product recommendations.
- Unlimited SKUs: whether or your company offers a minimal and carefully curated product list, or a robust catalog spanning multiple verticals, your digital catalog should be able to support any number of SKUs with unlimited listings.
- Advanced Search: the best way for customers to discover new product lines is through an advanced search function in your e-catalog. Search by product SKU, name, or product type.
- Digital Editing: inventory levels, product availability, and pricing change daily. A digital catalog allows your staff to instantly update product listings, eliminating the need to spend hours each week correcting inaccurate orders.
- Unlimited Customization: wholesale buyers expect to receive custom catalogs and order guides from their suppliers. Digital catalogs give you the power to easily create and update custom guides and pricing lists for every customer.
- Digital Ordering and Reordering: you shouldn’t have a digital catalog without offering digital ordering. Take this notion one step further and give your customers the option to easily reorder, or create recurring orders, in a few simple clicks.
Paper vs. Digital Catalogs
Printed catalogs are the way of the past and simply cannot compete in the digital age. In fact, 69% of B2B suppliers report that they are planning on eliminating physical catalogs within the next 5 years. They are heavy, cumbersome, and are inconvenient for your sales reps and buyers. Paper catalogs are costly to print, frequently out of date, and they do not make it easy for your customers to search for or discover new products. Finally, it is nearly impossible to create custom order guides for individual customers if you are bound by the limitations of physical catalogs.
By comparison, digital catalogs are always available (via web and mobile, even when you’re offline), are easily searchable and help buyers discover new products, and are always up to date so buyers always know what’s available and what the prices are. Furthermore, a digital catalog is your sales rep’s best resource while performing site visits and selling in the field. When equipped with up-to-date product information and availability, your sales reps are able to sell more effectively, customize orders instantly, and promote new or higher-tier product lines.
Digital catalogs are a cornerstone of a comprehensive B2B eCommerce strategy.