Once the easy questions like "what is drop shipping?" are out of the way, you have to look at more complex issues. Things like how to make money dropshipping and mastering the dropshipping model using best practices for a dropshipping website.
That second issue is best answered by looking at the best websites already operating for some inspiration. To help, here's the top dropshipping websites and platforms on the market today.
Top Dropshipping Websites & Dropshipping Platforms
After learning how to start a dropshipping business you'll need to move on to learning how to create a dropshipping website. This will lead you to look at the best dropshipping websites and platforms on the market. However, there are so many dropshipping websites that it can be hard to find the best ones and making a decision without enough data is just one of many possible dropshipping beginner mistakes.
Let's break them down into two categories: Dropshipping vendors and reseller websites and dropshipping platforms.
Best Dropshipping Websites
We're not just tooting our own horn here, we really do have the best website for finding dropshipping suppliers, running a digital storefront, and more. For finding suppliers or selling B2B, have our own online marketplace that can connect you to a slew of different suppliers so you can sell online with ease.
Not to mention, we also have a robust library of dropshipping articles that show we know what we're talking about when it comes to running an eCommerce business. Whether you need a dropshipping for dummies guide, help finding the best business bank for eCommerce, or recommendations for the best dropshipping books and dropshipping courses, we've got you covered. Our team has a serious passion and comprehensive understanding of the challenges you face as you work to grow your business.
The biggest player in this field is AliExpress, an online marketplace used by a majority of dropshipping businesses. Often called the Amazon of China, AliExpress offers a very wide range of products for sale from a variety of suppliers. This means that you can find products that fit your particular business industry fairly easily. The site is so popular that some dropshipping jobs and automated dropshipping tools are built entirely around surfing it for the best deals. You can also run your own store on AliExpress, though that isn't very common unless you're using drop surfing.
One caveat when using AliExpress is to make sure you buy only good-quality products. Many dropshippers have chosen to purchase low-quality goods in bulk and flooded the market with eCommerce PPC and dropshipping ads marketing these goods. This eroded customer trust and even led many to ask "is dropshipping dead" and "is dropshipping legal?" Buy a few samples of the products you're interested in to test out yourself before committing to a larger order. This make AliExpress not the ideal choice for reverse dropshipping businesses.
The other major dropshipping supplier is one of the largest online marketplaces in the world. Amazon offers products in nearly every category possible and their order fulfillment speed is second-to-none (see order fulfillment meaning). The main drawback of using Amazon to find suppliers is that the prices tend to be higher than if you were to use a supplier from overseas or find vendors that offer bulk order discounts.
Amazon is also commonly used as a tool to sell the best dropshipping products. This is so commonly used that many entrepreneurs are learning how to dropship on the platform. However, there are many restrictions when using Amazon FBA vs dropshipping. For example, if you use the Fulfillment By Amazon program (FBA), you are not allowed to ship products with a packing slip or RMA in them with another company's information on them. This limits your ability to use Amazon as a 3PL shipping company (see 3PL meaning) and lowers your ability to increase eCommerce sales.
Best Dropshipping Platform: BlueCart eCommerce
For running a dropshipping storefront, we have BlueCart eCommerce. It has cutting-edge tools and resources for selling B2B wholesale food (see what is wholesale), DTC food, or both. We take care of your store design and structure, menus, payment processing, and more, so you can focus on selling. Plus, our customer service for dropshipping businesses is second-to-none. Even better, all BlueCart customers also get listed in our marketplace where their products can reach 92,000+ buyers. You'll never again have to ask "is dropshipping worth it?" once you get connected to all these new customers and maximize your dropshipping profit margin.
Dropship Website Examples
If you're looking for some examples of great dropshipping sites to copy, we've compiled a list of our favorites. These dropshipping websites are all unique in some way and have a proven record of success.
Here are our top five favorite dropshipping websites:
- Inspire Uplift. One of the few successful general category dropshipping stores that sell to a variety of dropshipping niches, Inspire Uplift has managed to stand out and achieve long-term success. Why? Because they put a lot of emphasis on growing traffic using eCommerce SEO and eCommerce content marketing. They've built up a brand identity and a loyal customer base that has helped them continue to grow year after year. They also have a strong customer service program and their shipping policy page and order tracking features ensure customers are always in the know.
- Meowingtons. Unsurprisingly, Meowingtons is a cat-focused dropshipping website that offers a wide range of products within a themed category. We chose them for this list due to their impressive ability to pick and stick to a single niche. Rather than aim for the general pet category, a highly-congested market, they chose only to focus on cats and do it well. They're also great at branding and their eCommerce marketing shows this.
- HYGO. Like Inspire Uplift, HYGO is a general dropshipping store. What sets them apart is their ability to upsell and use cross selling. Using an on-page "frequently bought together" widget and sharing content on social media, they have driven a higher average order value than their competitors. This increased revenue, but also lets them play around with margins a bit (see markup vs margin) as they can try kitting products to sell even more. They've also got a pretty sleek storefront that helps push customers through the sales funnel.
- Trendy Goods. Trendy goods is a dropshipping website that is built around one thing; customer demand. That is, the entire product selection is curated based on the level of interest expressed online. This ensures they always have a market for the products they list. However, it also means they need to put a lot of time and effort into demand planning to make sure they choose the right products. This makes dropshipping a great model for the business as a sudden change in demand won't cause them to lose money in dead stock.
- Mooshe Socks. Another great niche dropshipper, Mooshe Socks, offers just a single type of product to their customers. Why they're on the list is that they've managed to own their niche really well and set themselves apart from their competitors. The branding eliminates the concerns many dropshippers face when trying to sell products that they don't own. They also have a strong and engaging social media presence and have also expanded into selling the socks through a subscription box business model. This further increases their margins and lets them add recurring revenue each month.
Get Out of My Site
Dropshipping websites are some of the most successful and interesting eCommerce sites around. Look through the suppliers, platforms, and examples above to find the right eCommerce software, tools, and practices for your dropshipping business ideas. Then get to writing your drop shipping business plan and building your website and sell some products!
Frequently Asked Questions About Dropshipping Websites
With some dropshipping website basics under your belt, you may have more questions running through your head. Have no fear--we pulled together some of the most common questions and our answers:
Which site is best for drop shipping?
The best website for dropshipping is BlueCart. Our SEO-optimized platform has built-in payment processing and eCommerce marketing automation tools, giving you more time and energy to focus on your business. BlueCart also has an online marketplace with over 95,000 buyers who are looking for the products you want to sell.
Other good websites for dropshipping are Shopify, AliExpress, eBay, Amazon, and Walmart. Dropshipping can be done with any website that has an eCommerce storefront, high demand products, and excellent customer service.
Are there free dropshipping sites?
If you want to get your dropshipping brand launched on a small budget, check out these free dropshipping sites:
- Worldwide Brands
- Wholesale Central