If you're looking into starting an eCommerce business using the dropshipping model, you've probably done a bit of research.
Once the easy questions like "what is dropshipping?" and "how does dropshipping work?" are out of the way, you have to look at more complex issues. Things like how to make money dropshipping and best practices for a dropshipping website.
That second issue is best answered by looking at the best websites already operating for some inspiration. To help, here are the top dropshipping websites and platforms on the market today.
Top Dropshipping Websites & Dropshipping Platforms
After learning how to start a dropshipping business you'll need to move on to learning how to create a dropshipping website. This will lead you to look at the best dropshipping websites and platforms on the market. However, there are so many dropshipping websites that it can be hard to find the best ones.
Let's break them down into two categories: Dropshipping supplier and reseller websites and dropshipping platforms.
Best Dropshipping Websites
We're not just tooting our own horn here, we really do have the best website for finding dropshipping suppliers, running a digital storefront, and more. For finding suppliers or selling B2B, have our own eCommerce marketplace that can connect you to a slew of different suppliers so you can sell online with ease.
Not to mention, we also have a robust library of dropshipping articles that show we know what we're talking about when it comes to running an eCommerce business. Whether you need a dropshipping for dummies guide, help finding the best business bank for eCommerce, or recommendations for the best dropshipping books and dropshipping courses, we've got you covered. Our team has a serious passion and comprehensive understanding of the challenges you face as you work to grow your business.
The biggest player in this field is AliExpress, an online marketplace used by a majority of dropshipping businesses. Often called the Amazon of China, AliExpress offers a very wide range of products for sale from a variety of suppliers. This means that you can find products that fit your particular business industry fairly easily. You can also run your own store on AliExpress, though that isn't very common.
One caveat when using AliExpress is to make sure you buy only good-quality products. Many dropshippers have chosen to purchase low-quality goods in bulk and flooded the market with eCommerce PPC ads marketing these goods. This eroded customer trust and even led many to ask "is dropshipping dead" and "is dropshipping legal?" Buy a few samples of the products you're interested in to test out yourself before committing to a larger order.
The other major dropshipping supplier is one of the largest online marketplaces in the world. Amazon offers products in nearly every category possible and their order fulfillment speed is second-to-none. The main drawback of using Amazon to find suppliers is that the prices tend to be higher than if you were to use a supplier from overseas or find wholesalers that offer bulk order discounts.
Amazon is also commonly used as a tool to sell your dropshipped products. This is so commonly used that many entrepreneurs are learning how to dropship on the platform. However, there are many restrictions when using Amazon for dropshipping. For example, if you use the Fulfillment By Amazon program (FBA), you are not allowed to ship products with a packing slip or RMA form in them with another company's information on them. This limits your ability to use Amazon as a 3PL shipping company (see 3PL meaning) and lowers your ability to increase eCommerce sales.
Best Dropshipping Platform: BlueCart eCommerce
For running a dropshipping storefront, we have BlueCart eCommerce. It has cutting-edge tools and resources for selling B2B wholesale food (see what is wholesale), DTC food, or both. We take care of your store design and structure, menus, payment processing, and more, so you can focus on selling. Plus, our customer support is second-to-none. Even better, all BlueCart customers also get listed in our marketplace where their products can reach 92,000+ buyers. You'll never again have to ask "is dropshipping worth it?" once you get connected to all these new customers.
Dropship Website Examples
If you're looking for some examples of great dropshipping sites to copy, we've compiled a list of our favorites. These dropshipping websites are all unique in some way and have a proven record of success.
Here are our top five favorite dropshipping websites:
- Inspire Uplift. One of the few successful general category dropshipping stores, Inspire Uplift has managed to stand out and achieve long-term success. Why? Because they put a lot of emphasis on growing traffic using eCommerce SEO and eCommerce content marketing. They've built up a brand identity and a loyal customer base that has helped them continue to grow year after year. They also have a strong customer service program and their shipping policy page and order tracking features ensure customers are always in the know.
- Meowingtons. Unsurprisingly, Meowingtons is a cat-focused dropshipping website that offers a wide range of products within a themed category. We chose them for this list due to their impressive ability to pick and stick to a single niche. Rather than aim for the general pet category, a highly-congested market, they chose only to focus on cats and do it well. They're also great at branding and their eCommerce marketing shows this.
- HYGO. Like Inspire Uplift, HYGO is a general dropshipping store. What sets them apart is their ability to upsell and use cross selling. Using an on-page "frequently bought together" widget and sharing content on social media, they have driven a higher average order value than their competitors. This increased revenue, but also lets them play around with margins a bit (see markup vs margin) as they can try kitting products to sell even more. They've also got a pretty sleek storefront that helps push customers through the sales funnel.
- Trendy Goods. Trendy goods is a dropshipping website that is built around one thing; customer demand. That is, the entire product selection is curated based on the level of interest expressed online. This ensures they always have a market for the products they list. However, it also means they need to put a lot of time and effort into demand planning to make sure they choose the right products. This makes dropshipping a great model for the business as a sudden change in demand won't cause them to lose money in dead stock.
- Mooshe Socks. Another great niche dropshipper, Mooshe Socks, offers just a single type of product to their customers. Why they're on the list is that they've managed to own their niche really well and set themselves apart from their competitors. The branding eliminates the concerns many dropshippers face when trying to sell products that they don't own. They also have a strong and engaging social media presence and have also expanded into selling the socks through a subscription business model. This further increases their margins and lets them add recurring revenue each month.
Get Out of My Site
Dropshipping websites are some of the most successful and interesting eCommerce sites around. Look through the suppliers, platforms, and examples above to find the right eCommerce software, tools, and practices for you. Then get to building your website and sell some products!